Road, Rail and Sea
The various modes of surface transportation have many technical, economic, social and regulatory challenges. Because of CSSI’s history of solving complex problems in air traffic management field, we have received increasing requests to address complex problems for surface transportation as well. Some examples of transportation issues we have addressed over the last 10 years include:
- Assisting the New Mexico Spaceport address integration into the national airspace systems (NAS),
- Helping the Environmental Protection Agency with transportation emissions,
- Creating computer visualizations to facilitate the varied interests of airport stakeholders, and,
- Developing algorithms to analyze alternative decisions about the transportation operations in urban environments and assess the best decision for efficiency, effectiveness and cost.
As a result of our growing expertise, we have taken our best practices and combined them with a set of strategic partners to offer a set of solutions that help other transportation organizations address the complex issues around multi-billion dollar investments in transportation projects.
The CSSI Transportation Research, Engineering, and Analysis (TREA) service provides studies, plans, and solutions to help our customer make the decisions that will yield the best benefit in the five to 20 years it may take to implement their transportation projects. The TREA service applies hard sciences, soft sciences, and engineering disciplines to provide safe, efficient, and secure modes of transportation for people and goods. We will analyze the current state of a transportation system, forecast the future state, and manage the transition from one to the other.
CSSI has strategic teaming arrangements that allow us to use a jointly developed approach to address customers’ needs in the following areas:
- Environmental impact statements: CSSI deploys a team of diverse scientific, engineering, and professional experts to describe the affected environment and propose actions for alternative projects. Our approach is to evaluate diverse and interrelated issues beyond the standard endangered species, environmental quality, historic and cultural sites, and socio-economic issues
- Transportation engineering studies: The operational aspects of a transportation decision are critical to ensuring users received the promised benefits of the tax dollar investments. As such, our team performs transportation capacity optimization, operational efficiency and effectiveness, and safety and security vulnerability for these systems. These studies are designed to ensure the decision-makers have the best information to make informed decisions about future outcomes
- Transportation systems lifecycle management: As transportation departments, city planners, and commercial operators of transportation systems decide to invest in major transportation projects, it’s important they have systems that are affordable, reliable and safe to operate during the total life span. Our team has experience helping customers research, acquire, and sustain highly complex and sophisticated transportation vehicles and supporting systems. Our integrated solution provides our customers with systems acquisition requirements, technology roadmaps, technical innovation insertion strategies, total systems lifecycle cost, supply chain management and maintenance management efficiency
- Transportation stakeholder resolution workshops: Many of our customers frequently recognize that the technical solution is the easiest part of the problem to solve, while the human, social and institutional influencers are the most difficult. Our team visualizes the most complex transportation concepts to begin a productive, solution-oriented discussion with all stakeholders. We leverage technical enablers as well as comprehensive experience in working with diverse stakeholders to understand problems, gather different perspectives and find common ground for resolution or innovative solutions. The customers and their stakeholders walk away with a renewed understanding of the different perspectives, memorandums of agreements for resolutions, or new or revised contracts to protect relevant parties.